If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


How to use this website

The resources on this website have been created and are maintained by Planning Aid England (PAE). PAE is funded by the Royal Town Planning Institute, a registered charity. It is separate from both central and local government and provides completely independent and impartial planning advice.

This website provides:

  • Answers to questions people often ask about planning
  • Clear, simple explanations of how the planning system works
  • Signposting on where to go next

If, having looked at our website advice, you still need help, you can access our online advice service via the ‘submit a request button’ in the top right hand corner of the screen or by clicking here. This service offers a limited amount of free, general planning advice by email. It is delivered by a panel of volunteer planning advisors, all of whom are Chartered Planners. Our planning advisors are happy to answer enquiries on planning-related issues in England and aim to respond to enquiries within 5 working days (though this cannot be guaranteed during exceptionally busy times).  In some situations, depending on your circumstances and the availability of our volunteers, we may be able to offer further support.

The information you share with us is held in confidence in line with the RTPI Privacy Policy and in accordance with the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018. We do not discuss queries with local planning authorities or any other organisations or persons unless you instruct us to, or we are required to by law.  



  • We don't provide pre-application advice about a specific site or planning application - you'll need to contact your local planning authority for this.
  • We don't provide free advice to other professionals working within the planning, development and built environment sectors (e.g. architects, surveyors, estate agents) or organisations who can afford to employ professionals.  If you fall into this category and require professional planning support you may wish to consider engaging a chartered town planner. The RTPI Directory of Planning Consultants can help you find a professional planner in your local area.
  • If you are a planner seeking advice, please refer to the Practice pages of the RTPI website or the RTPI Independent Consultants' Network.
  • Advice and help can only be given on planning matters. Planning Aid England cannot provide help with the following subjects:
  • Building regulation approvals
  • Drawing plans
  • Valuation work
  • Structural surveys and site investigation work
  • If your enquiry falls outside the scope of the Planning Aid England service you may be referred to another organisation.
  • The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors consumer helpline offers up to 30 minutes free advice on boundary disputes, party walls and compulsory purchase. Their advice line number is (0)24 7686 855 and further information is available from their website.


Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk