If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


Removing or pruning trees in your garden

Normally permission is not required to fell or do other work to trees in domestic gardens. There are, however, some exceptions:

  • If the tree is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order, you will need to obtain permission from the council first. If you are not sure if a tree is preserved, contact the council.
  • If you are doing works to trees in a Conservation Area, you have to give the council planning authority six weeks’ notice. This gives them the chance to decide whether a Tree Preservation Order should be made.
  • If your house is modern, there may be a condition attached to the original planning permission that requires trees or other planting to be retained as part of the landscaping for the development. Your council will have details.
Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk