If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


Are there restrictions in these protected areas?

There can be restrictions both on new buildings or changes of use and on activities that might harm the wildlife or geological interest of these sites. Restrictions can apply both to works within the areas themselves and to activities nearby that might affect them, for example by affecting drainage or increasing visitor numbers.

Contact your LPA to find out what restrictions apply for development in these areas. You might need to do certain things if you are proposing a development that may affect a protected area, such as:

  • seek permission from Natural England as well as obtaining planning permission, if required
  • carry out an ecological survey, for example of local wildlife, to find out if there are any protected species that might be affected when carrying out development, even if it does not require planning permission
  • carry out an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk